S2 - new format

Hello,

There will be some changes in the Sentinel-2 images format. The deployement of this new format is planned on January 25th (Deployment of Sentinel-2 Processing Baseline 04.00 and Provision of New Sample Products - Sentinel Online ).
MAJA 4.5 has been developped in order to tackle this issue. We are currently implementing it on the system. We will inform you when it will be ready and how to make the change to this new version of S2 pre-processing.
Regards,
Diane H.

Hello,

Due to an issue that was recently found in MAJA 4.5, the update of the Sen4CAP system with this version of MAJA might be a little bit delayed.
We will keep you informed as soon as we have the news.

Best regards,
Cosmin

Hello,
Do I understand correctly that MAJA 4.5.3 is not not yet usable with Sen4CAP?

Hello,

Not yet but it will be soon (although we have everything in place for the users to perform the upgrade). We are still waiting for some feedback from CNES concerning the GIPP files, hopefully no longer than few days (we discovered some problems in the version they published).

Sorry for the inconvenience and for your patience but we prefer to provide you a version that creates products without issues.

Best regards,
Cosmin

Hello @cudroiu,

any updates on this topic?

Best regards,
Heiner

1 Like

Hello @cudroiu @DianeHey ,

thanks for your work, but are there some news?

And can you please give a more detailed instruction how to upgrade?

• download the GIPP and put in the directory?
  • pull docker image and change yml file?
  • which configuration parameters have to be adjusted
  • how to recalculate the already processed image? delete and how to restart the processing?

Thanks and kind regards
Christian

Hello,
Are there any updates on this? I can see that the new maja sen4x docker image is available, and they mention gipp files here, are these the faulty ones?
I need to start the processing so that it has time to catch-up before the middle of season. Do you recommend using ESA’s L2A, or should I wait for maja?
Thank you.
Adam

Hello @cudroiu,

any updates here? We have to setup our Site for this year. After the 15th may we´d like to compute the first results.

Best regards,
Benjamin

Hello,

We are working to find a solution. Indeed the MAJA 4 causes saturation in the darker area in some images (see print screen). There is a lot of discussion with the CNES who is developing MAJA to find a solution. It has been 2 months that we hope to get a long lasting solution but nothing comes. We still hope to get a patch in the next weeks but we cannot say exactly when.

As you may know, Sen4CAP is already compatible with Sen2Cor and is working without any problem with the L2A product obtained from this processing chain. Nevertheless, the Sen2Cor cloud mask is not yet convincing (brings lots of noise in the time series that affect the detections).
A new cloud mask (Fmask) is currently under development within the system. This new functionality should be released by the end of May.

Hello Benjamin and Cristian,

We have an updater for the new MAJA with custom modifications for GIPP that produces the same results as MAJA 3 (compared with the official ones from CNES that have the issue described by Diane).
If you want to use it and test it, we can provide it to you before publishing it on the official Sen4CAP website.
The updater contains all the files needed, downloads all the needed images and performs the corresponding updates in the database.

Best regards,
Cosmin

Hello Cosmin,

thanks for your reply. I’m actually very buisy but if you can provide me the updater i would like to test it.

best regards
Christian

Hello,

Do you have any updates on the use of the new version of Maja ?
Does anyone know a workaround for this problem ?

Thank you,

Paul

Dear Paul,

We will release in 1-2 days a new version of the system that supports MAJA 4.5.4 that can deal with the S2 New format.

Best regards,
Cosmin

1 Like